Florida Board of Massage Therapy License Renewal Requirements
Florida licensed massage therapists are required to renew their license every two years. All credits must be issued by a provider approved by Florida’s Board of Massage Therapy. Renewal requirements for the period ending August 31st, 2017 are as follows:
12 hours relevant to massage therapy techniques, which may include history, human anatomy and/or physiology, kinesiology and/or pathology. These hours must be taken live – in a classroom with an instructor present (not correspondence). Up to six hours of this requirement may be satisfied by pro bono services offered to the indigent, underserved populations or in areas of critical need within the state where you practice. Prior approval must be received by Florida’s Board of Massage Therapy for pro bono credit.
6 hours relevant to massage therapy techniques OR courses on communication skills, insurance billing, risk management (including charting, documentation, record keeping or infection control, massage practice management, psychological dynamics between therapists and clients. These hours may be obtained through correspondence. Up to four hours of CPR may be taken in this category.
2 hours on professional ethics.
2 hours on the prevention of medical errors.
2 hours on Florida laws and rules.
If you graduated from a Board approved massage school within this last biennium, you are required to take one hour of credit for each month or portion of which since your graduation. If you received a two hour credit in your initial massage training for both Florida law and professional ethics, you are not required to take these courses for your first renewal cycle.
Is this your FIRST license renewal?
If this is your FIRST license renewal, the following are your specific guidelines for required Continuing Education hours in Florida:
- You must complete one continuing education hour for each month or part of a month since the license was issued, through August 31, 2017. The date issued is printed on your license.
- You must take at least TWO hours in the Prevention of Medical Errors.
- The remaining hours can be ANY board-approved continuing education courses, including pre-approved pro bono hours.
- First time renewals need NOT take two hours of Florida Laws and Rules or two hours of Professional Ethics.
- ALL classes for FIRST TIME RENEWALS ONLY may be taken online.
For the most current License Renewal Information please visit the Florida Department of Health website.